Thursday, August 19, 2021

we need a rosary: testimony on mother teresa's rosary

 WE NEED A ROSARY.

Jim Castle, a 45 year old management consultant was tired when he boarded his plane from Cincinnati, U.S.A., that night in 1981. He was ready for the flight home to Kansas City. Walking up the aisle was the face he had seen on magazine covers and television. It was Mother Teresa and she was his seat companion. Mother Teresa pulled out her rosary and began to pray. Once she completed a rosary she turned toward Jim and asked, "Young man, do you say the rosary often?" "No, not really," he admitted. She took his hand and then smiled and said, "Well, you will now". And she dropped her rosary into his palm. An hour later he met his wife Ruth. "What in the world?" Ruth asked when she noticed the rosary in his hand. Jim described his encounter with Mother Teresa. Nine years later Jim and Ruth visited Connie, a friend of theirs who was suffering from ovarian cancer. She said, "The doctor says it's a tough case. "Reaching into his pocket, Jim gently took out Mother Teresa's rosary and twined it around her fingers. He said, "Keep it with you Connie. It may help". Although not a Catholic she accepted it willingly and whispered "Thank you. I hope I can return it". More than a year passed Connie met Jim and handed him the rosary "I carried it with me all the year. I have had surgery and the tumour is gone completely! I knew it was time to give back the rosary. It can help another person in need". Ruth's sister fell ill into a deep depression after her divorce. She asked Jim if she could borrow the rosary and he sent it. Later she mailed the rosary back with this note, "I was so lonely and afraid. At night I held on to it, just physically held on. When I gripped the rosary, I felt as if I held a loving hand. It helped me to put my life together. Now I think, someone else may need it." Then one night a stranger telephoned Ruth and asked if she could borrow the rosary to take it to hospital where her mother lay in a coma. Returning it gratefully, after a few days the woman said, "I explained to my mother that I had Mother Teresa's rosary and put it in her hand. Right away, we saw her face relax! A few minutes later she was gone. Thank you". The request for the rosary was continued. Jim always responded by lending the rosary and reminded when you are through needing it, please send it back. Someone else may need it." Jim's own life changed. When he found how simple was Mother Teresa, he made an effort to simplify his own life. He says, "I try to remember what really count is not money, titles or possessions, but the way we love and serve others."

No comments: